Ethiopia’s health care increased by 13% in the 2020/21 Fiscal Year, the fastest growth rate among the major GDP components. The Ethiopian Food and Drug Authority’s reinforcement allows for more digitization of the importation and registration of health commodities into Ethiopia by utilizing different programs. The programs include:
– i-Register: used by importers for market authorization application and product
– i-Import: an online application used by importers to apply for and receive permits to import all health commodities. Ethiopia Pharmaceuticals Supplies Agency (EPSA) has access to this application as they participate in procurement activities.
– i-Verify: an app-based health products tracker that provides regulators, real-time movement, and products from manufacturer to the point of issue.
– Health Posts: 17,550 available and 425 under construction
– Health Centers: 3,735 available and 96 under construction
– Hospitals: 353 available and 107 under construction
– Private Clinics: 3,867
– Private Hospitals: 43
This creates opportunities to receive equipment, hospital furniture, ambulances, pharmaceuticals, vaccinations, and more from foreign companies. Other major GDP components with the fastest growth rates last year were: Banking – up 9%, Transportation/communications – up 7%, construction – up 7%.